Tonight is the night before I leave Sydney for my well-deserved month-long holiday back to Singapore for Chinese New Year with stop-overs at Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur. I can finally say goodbye to work (which has been at a C*R*A*Z*Y pace for some months now), albeit temporarily. The excitement fills the air and I know I will not be able to sleep well tonight with all the pent-up anticipation. So I better cut this short and try to rest early.
I have been working a lot on my Hong Kong itinerary and I realised that even before going there, I was getting a little sick of all the detailed planning. It was as if I were so familiar with that place without even having visited the country. This post is basically to share with you the gist of all that planning (with maps, descriptions, travelling costs and other details omitted). Tell me your thoughts on it!
- Flight lands at 1135.
- Lunch at Tsui Wah 翠華餐廳 (any branch in Central).
[Walk from Central 中環 Station Exit D2. Theatre Lane -> corner D'Aguilar St & Wellington St, Yung Kee Building. Address: G/F-2F., 15-19 Wellington St, Central]
- Shopping at Causeway Bay: Fashion Walk: Paterson St/Cleveland St/Kingston St/Gloucester Rd. Great George St/Sharp St/Percival St.
[Start from Causeway Bay Station Exit E -> Great George St]
- The Peak ride.
[Walk from MTR Central Station Exit J1. Lower Peak Tram Terminus on Garden Rd]
- Dinner at Tai Hing Roast Restaurant 太興燒味餐廳 (branch in Causeway Bay).
[Walk from Causeway Bay 銅鑼灣 Station Exit C. Cnr Percival St & Jaffe Rd. Address: Shop 1-3, G/F, Cigna Tower, 470-484 Jaffe Road, Causeway Bay]
- Hang Heung 恒香 Bakery visit.
[Causeway Bay Station Exit D3. Address: Counter at Sogo Department Store, Basement 2]
- Drinks at Lan Kuai Fong 兰桂坊 and SoHo 荷南美食区.
[Lan Kwai Fong: Central Station Exit D2. Theatre Lane -> D'Aguilar St]
[SoHo: Wyndham St -> Hollywood Rd -> Shelly St]
- Ngong Ping 昂坪 360, Lantau Island 大屿山 "Full NP360 Experience + Outlet Shopping - Citygate" package (morning till early afternoon).
[Tung Chung 东涌 Station Exit D and walk to the Tung Chung Cable Car Terminal]
- Quick shopping at Citygate Outlets, Tung Chung, Lantau Island (till mid-afternoon).
[Tung Chung Station Exit D. Address: 20 Tat Tung Road 达东路, Tung Chung, Lantau Island]
- Shopping at Golden Computer Shopping Arcade, Sham Shui Po 深水埗 & nearby Apliu St 鸭寮街 flea markets (till early evening).
[Golden Computer Arcade: Sham Shui Po Station exit D2. Apliu St: Sham Shui Po Station exit C2]
- Dinner at Gourmet Street (Pei Ho Street/Fuk Wing Street/Kweilin St), Sham Shui Po.
[Sham Shui Po Station Exit B2 and D2]
- Portland Street 砵兰街 visit.
[Yau Ma Te 油麻地 Station Exit C. Start from Man Ming Lane up to Bute St]
- Lamma Island 南丫岛 for the 1st half of the day. Walk from Yung Shue Wan 榕树湾 to So Kwu Wan 索罟湾. Possible breakfast spot: Bookworm Cafe near Tin Hau temple (close to Yung Shue Wan). Possible tea place: Herboland, right behind the main beach.
[Hong Kong Station Exit E1. Walk through IFC Mall 国际金融中心商场. Take a ferry from Central Pier 4 to Yung Shue Wan (~30 mins, every 20-60 mins)
- Photo shoot with accompanying friend as and when good spots are found.
- Early seafood dinner at So Kwu Wan (end of trail).
- Shopping around Tsim Sha Tsui MTR Station.
[Tsim Sha Tsui Station Exit B1. Nathan Rd -> Granville Rd -> 2 blocks -> Granville Circuit]
- Symphony of Lights 幻彩咏香江 at 8pm. Vantage point: along Tsim Sha Tsui 尖沙咀 waterfront between the Avenue of Stars 星光大道 and the Hong Kong Cultural Centre 香港文化中心.
[Tsim Sha Tsui Station Exit J]
- Gay dance club "Volume" at Hollywood Rd, Central.
[Sheung Wan 上环 Station Exit A2. Hillier St -> Bonham Strand -> Wellington St -> Aberdeen St. Address: Lower Ground Floor 83-85 Hollywood Rd., Central]
- Ding Ding tram wandering (free and easy). Alight as and when there's something enjoyable. Start from Shau Kei Wan 筲箕灣 Station and end at Sheung Wan.
[Shau Kei Wan Station Exit A2. Alrich St pass Kam Wa St, Factory St, Nam On St to corner Shau Kei Wan Main St E]
-Possible tram stop visits: Hong Kong Film Archive 香港电影资料馆, Chun Yeung Street Market 春秧街市, Cheung Lee Restaurant 祥利冰室, Shun Hing 顺兴茶档, Happy Valley Racecourse 跑马地马场, Se Wong Yee 蛇王二, Ngo Keng Kiu (Goose Neck Bridge) 鹅颈桥, Wan Chai Southorn Playground 湾仔修顿球场, Sam Bat Mai Kudzu 三不卖, Blue House/Wan Chai Livelihood Museum 蓝屋/湾仔民间生活馆, Stanley Street Dai Pai Dong 士丹利街大牌档, Luk Yu Tea House 陆羽茶室, Pottinger Street 石板街 (砵甸乍街), Wing Lok Street (Commonly Known as Ginseng and Birds' Nest Street) 参茸燕窝街 (永乐街), Des Voeux Road West (Dry Seafood Street) 海味腊味街 (德辅道西).
- Ding Ding tram 2nd last stop -> Sheung Wan Station Exit A2.
[Bonham Strand -> Hillier St to corner Wing Lok St]
- Travel to Sai Kung 西贡 for late seafood dinner.
[Choi Hung 彩虹 Station Exit C2 and take green minibus 1A to the Sai Kung town terminus 西贡市中心总站]
- Early dim sum breakfast at Lin Heung Tea House 蓮香樓 (must find a seat!).
[Sheung Wan Station Exit E2. Wing Lok St -> Wing Wo St -> cross Queen's Rd -> Wellington St -> corner Aberdeen St. Address: 160-164 Wellington Street, Central]
- Stanley visit.
[Hong Kong Station Exit D and take bus 6, 6A, 6X, 66 or 260 from Exchange Square Bus terminus, Central. Address: Stanley Market Road, Stanley, Hong Kong Island]
- Shopping at Langham Place 朗豪坊, Mong Kok (till mid-afternoon).
[Mong Kok Station Exit C3. Address: 8 Argyle Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon]
- Sportswear Street (Fa Yuen Street) (till late afternoon).
[Mong Kok Station Exit D3. Argyle St to corner Fa Yuen St -> Soy St]
- Ladies' Market, Tung Choi St 通菜街, Mong Kok (till early evening).
[Mong Kok Station Exit D3. Argyle St to corner Tung Choi St -> Dundas St]
- Quick look along Sai Yeung Choi St South from Argyle St to Dundas St.
[Mong Kok Station Exit D3. Argyle St to cnr Sai Yeung Choi St South -> Dundas St]
- Temple Street night market 庙街夜市, Yau Ma Tei (till evening) and dinner there.
[Jordan Station Exit A. Jordan Rd -> 3 blocks to Temple St. Starts from Nanking St and ends Man Ming Lane]
- Flight departs at 1225.
Phew! That is detailed and so satisfyingly so.
I am off for my beauty rest now and to those I will not have a chance to catch up with during this trip, I will see you all back here in a month's time. Happy holidays to me!