Sunday, November 18, 2012

A short breather (part 1)

I finally have some time to tidy up the pictures from my recent trip back to Singapore and here is part one of what happened during those nine days.

This is the first time we have flown on business class together on a budget airline (more like a premium economy). For the price, I think it is not too bad food-, seat- and service-wise. This is the meal we got on the plane.


Hmm… Looks like Grindr is working fine in Singapore. And don't let the suburban location I was staying at fool you, it is chock-full of gay boys, just like the rest of this tiny red dot. Looks like I am still pretty popular in my home country.


 My main purpose of the trip was to attend a wedding and it was such an unconventional one (retro-themed). I guess it makes sense seeing the bride has performed in so many wedding gigs that she must be quite sick of traditional weddings. Here are the words of the yet-to-be-composed song I wrote for this special occasion.


 It was my first gate-crashing experience and I must say it is not something I would like to do often. In fact, I think once is quite enough as I really do not see the point of it all. The one we were involved in was considered very mild by local standards apparently.


 The mandatory family get-together. We used a Groupon thing which I paid $100 for a 4-person deal that was supposed to cost nearly $160. As there were five of us, one person had to pay full price and guess what? The full price was $25! Bloody hell! I have heard a lot of horror stories with this Groupon thing but I never thought it would happen to me! The dim sum a-la-carte buffet we had was good though and Ision will never pass up an opportunity at dim sum so no complaints from him!


 As a tourist, visiting new local attractions is a must. So Gardens by the Bay was one of my stops. I was there with my mother and Ision on this hellishly-hot day. Poor boo couldn't take it and left before it got cooler. This is the view from inside the two conservatories. I really like the one called "Cloud Forest". The air-conditioned environment with the lush tropical greenery all around was really a refreshing experience! I feel that the Halloween theme (bottom picture) of the second conservatory called "Flower Dome" spoilt the whole environment though..


 As expected, there would be lots of rare plant species that will never see the light of day once out of the conservatories. These were just a handful of the numerous pictures I snapped of the exotic delights.


 More unusual flora. I know Singaporeans are stingy and I understand their reason for not wanting to go to this attraction because of the "hefty" admission fee of $20 to both conservatories. But I really think everyone should give this place a go.


 Thanks to the hardworking cheap foreign labour, we have this amazing attraction. In fact we should thank these workers for the entire country as it was them who helped transform a marshy fishing village into the high-tech concrete jungle we have today in just several short decades.


The eight-storey tall indoor waterfall in the "Cloud Forest" conservatory. The entire site has been built with a state-of-the-art sustainable design and I was pretty impressed with it. But I still think the resources it takes to air-condition such large spaces in a tropical country must surely be rather environmentally-unfriendly!


 My mum really enjoyed her time at the Gardens. This was a shot atop the Skyway where we were only allowed 30 minutes on. However we dragged it out by evading the "authorities" from dusk all the way to night time so we could experience views in different light. What can I say, we are rebels!


 The Gardens at night captured by my crappy camera. Well you get the picture. All in all it was a good day but what made it super was I got to spend it with my mum.


I am still in the process of tidying up the rest of the pictures and selecting the more interesting ones to blog. I will post the rest next week. See you then.

No comments: