Thursday, October 31, 2013

Musical journey (40)

I will be 35 in 30 minutes' time and I must say I have not changed much over the past several years except becoming really settled in my relationship. In comparison I don't think I am as settled residing in Australia. Perhaps this is because of my work, which constantly challenges where I regard as home. My boss just told me that there is a very high chance of retrenchment in January next year as the projects in Melbourne is drying up really fast. Whenever this happens (which is once too many), I would have to rethink the possibility of relocating to another place where there is work. This is really not a good situation to be in (I have put my intention to buy property on hold because of this). But we all have to try our best to make do with what life gives us and I will continue to plod along like every one else.

The other thing about being half-way between 30 and 40 (40 being the next turning point in my life) is that you become not as energetic as before. After a heavy night of partying, I would need a much longer time to recuperate. I guess this is why people tend to remove themselves from party circuits as age progresses—it is simply out of biological necessity. However I must still stress (time and again) that I would never for a second contemplate exchanging my old body for a younger one because with age comes maturity and learnt life lessons. I would pick being a wise old man over a tight clueless thing any time.

On the eve of my birthday, I shall make a short musical post with a rendition of one of my favourite KTV-songs. The thing that impresses people (including myself) most about my voice is my falsetto and I like songs that can accentuate that quality. An example would be this one from Jay Chou, one of my most-admired song-writers at the moment. I have been inspired by different singer/song-writers in different phases of my life, starting with Panda Xiong, who really helped to kick-start the whole creative journey. I hope to be inspired by more people as I grow older for I intend to keep up with my writing till the day I die.




PS: Starting tomorrow, I will be off on a 5-day road-trip with my best pal visiting from Singapore on her honeymoon with her husband. This is our first travelling-in-a-caravan experience and I am sure it will be a blast. That is what I call an awesome birthday present!

No comments: