Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Musical journey (54)

I am now at the end of my first week back in Papua New Guinea on my third rotation and I have just arrived at an even more remote site where I will be stationed for the next three weeks. I have my own room and theoretically I have to share the toilet with my neighbour. How I wish I could share it with a hunky guy but alas I am less a neighbour. Well at least I could call the toilet and shower my own... for now. I flew to the site in a helicopter (my first time ever) and it was not as exciting as I thought it would be (the flight was only 20 minutes). I was originally scheduled to fly in a fixed-wing aircraft but it was faulty and so there was a last minute change in plan (sure doesn't give you a lot of faith in the local aviation industry does it?).

The food here really does taste better compared to the main camp (every one who's been here has told me the same but I did not believe them as I needed a personal taste test). This site here is at sea level and so it is a lot hotter and more humid  than the main camp. Fortunately the air-condition in my room is quieter and more efficient (room-size is half as big as in the main camp). Unfortunately there is no air-conditioning in the gym so it can get quite unbearable in there. There is also a lot of down-for-maintenance and half-assembled gym equipment strewn around and I hope they will be up and running soon. Things have been slow work-wise, which is expected as the team here is pretty new to alarm rationalisation. For all of you who don't yet know, my title here is "Production Lead (Alarm Rationalisation)". This is the first time I have the word "lead" in my title and I will try to milk the hell out of it, if that is even possible.

OK, PNG update over and now on to the reason behind this post which is to share my rendition of one of my favourite Hokkien songs. I have posted this song by the original singer on Facebook before and I have mentioned then that to me Hokkien music is the more lyrical and sentimental version of American country music. Though there are bad examples, Hokkien songs about family and kinship never fail to invoke strong emotions in me. This is why I decided to record my version of this song about an old single father bringing up a young son and telling him to study hard so that society would not look down on him. The father also laments that he might not live long enough to see his son grow up and start a family. As a person missing a father from the age of eight, this song really struck a chord with me and I hope you like my version of it (the original could be found here).



No comments: