Friday, September 30, 2016

Musical journey (74)

Spring is in the air and as the weather warms up, I look forward to having more outdoor fun and possibly photo shoots (I need to shed some winter weight first though). Things still remain frustratingly insecure on the work front but at least for the next month I'll have full-time work (part-time in the city office and part-time on site at the Altona refinery). Apparently I'm not senior enough to be accepted for a refinery position yet I'm supposed to be in it temporarily while the person who has vacated that position has gone on leave. That's so irritating! Well I'll grab whatever work that comes along now as beggars can't be choosers and hopefully this temporary work at the refinery matures into something permanent.

Also the dreaded and extremely pointless performance review is coming up and I'm so going to "cut and paste" everything from last year not only because things are truly the same but also there hasn't been a pay rise for AGES so there's really no incentive for anyone to perform better than others. That being said I think I'd have to seriously contemplate having to go through the arduous promotion process to get myself to a senior level so that I'll have an edge over the others in order to secure my job.

At least today is a public holiday and although I don't like sports and don't comprehend Australia's crazy obsession with it, I'm glad we have this sports holiday as it means that I can save another day of annual leave which I'm constantly being forced to take because of a lack of work. The vexing thing is that there's actually a lot of work but there's just no budget for it so we all end up working extra hours to complete the job for free (I'm doing some work over this long weekend from home). This is how engineering consultancies work i.e. they quote an unreasonably low price and/or compressed schedule to clients to win contracts and then squeeze employees to deliver more work at a faster pace for free, and it sucks.

I think I really need to get into some new hobbies or make some new friends to purge myself of all this angst but I'm lazy and nothing beats vegetating at home. Moreover doing nothing saves money and I need to grow my savings for the rainy day that's creeping closer and closer. I guess things will continue like this till at least the end of the year. Fortunately I still have an excellent hobby that costs nothing which is to compose new music and record covers and this brings us to the topic of the day.

This month's musical journey is a cover of one of my favourite Chinese pop duets by two of the biggest stars in the industry - Jay Chou and A*Mei. This is also the first time I recorded both the male and female parts and I really enjoyed it. Although I don't know what the plot of the MTV is all about, the tune is the thing that I like. It's also a tough one to cover because unlike traditional pop duets, the male and female vocals constantly switch between the lead melody and harmony roles. This complex tune can only come from someone who has strong musical training and Jay certainly has that. So have a listen and tell me if I should cover more duet songs like these OK?



No comments: