Friday, July 31, 2026

Musical journey (191)

Yesterday, I received a phone call from my back-to-back (the guy who is on the opposite shift in PNG). As his contract is up for renewal in November and mine in March next year, we had to push our team lead to tell us what our future is. In an extreme cost-cutting environment where work performance has absolutely nothing to do with longevity, I've been preparing myself for the worst ever since this cheapskate company took over in 2022. That call from my back-to-back was to convey what our team lead told him regarding this matter.

Although that chat didn't provide a definitive answer on what the path forward looks like, it made it clear that at least one of us would have to go, either to a new temporary role (which is their gradual way to phase out a headcount), or to nothing (i.e. be let go at the end of the contract, or earlier and be paid out for 3 months). For the person who stays, contract-renewal might only be for 1 year and not the usual 2 years. I've already told my team lead previously that I'm willing to move on to other FIFO roles in Australia to prepare for this exact scenario. I'll know more in about 2 weeks' time, so watch this space.

Not having a full-time job is not the end of the world. Rather, it's sometimes the only way to force a person to focus on his real passions in life. For me, that would be music and adult entertainment. To satisfy myself in the former, for as long as I can remember, I jump at every opportunity to perform in front of an audience. This month's musical post is my rendition of Westlife's "Flying Without Wings" during a work Christmas party in 2024 in PNG. In that party, I performed a number of songs (here is another one). This song holds a special place in my heart and that's why I sing it whenever I can (another instance here).

Given the uncertainty around my current job, I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend another Christmas party in PNG, but at least I've attended one that really mattered when Wayne (a.k.a. the best boss in the world) was still around (you can read more about his departure here). To be honest, even if the company is willing to spend money on another one, and I'm still around, I'll not be attending it as it will no longer be fun under this new administration in this environment.

That's enough whingeing for now. Hope you'll enjoy this "Christmas in July" offering.



 

No comments: