Saturday, February 18, 2012

A-Men

Hey guys, in case you are not aware, the Gay Asian Men Project of ACON (AIDS Council of New South Wales) will be launching an all-Asian gay male photo-essay book in 10 days' time in an event titled "Unmask", which is part of the program line-up for this year's Sydney Mardi Gras. I am very proud to be part of this project which from its models, photographers and writers to its graphic designers and publicists are all gay Asians! This project has many objectives but I identify with one of them the most, that is to put a masculine and healthy image of gay Asian men out there for all to see. We are most certainly not all weak, pale and effeminate beings, and we come in all shapes and sizes.

This publication relies heavily on pictures to promote its message and I must say from the models I worked with on this project, you are most definitely in for a treat. And have I mentioned that it is a FREE publication? What more can you ask? Here is a sneak peek. Guess which of these three is me?


I am super excited about the launch event which will feature a fashion show, performances and lots more, all-gay, all-Asian and all-fabulous! I am however very disappointed that I wouldn't be able to partake in the excitment of all that because this new work position in Melbourne is crazy and is not allowing me to free up time to fly back for Mardi Gras. I would have loved to be marching in the parade with the A-men float! Yes, they have a magnificent float as well!!! Here is the list of events celebrating the diverse gay Asian community in this year's Mardi Gras. And here is another report by the Gay News Network.

This photo-essay book and its launch is the first-ever of its kind in Australia and is the brainchild of my dear friend Min, the Asian Gay Men’s Health Promotion Officer at ACON whom I really want to thank for his vision, energy and tireless commitment to the project. We need more people like him in the community for sure.

An official teaser has also been spreading on Facebook and is creating quite a bit of buzz for the publication and launch. With all this anticipation already brewing before the big night, I know this entire project will be a wild success. I simply cannot wait to lay my hands on a copy of the book! So here's to all involved in it and all gay Asian men in Australia—you have done a great job and it is now time to show the world what we are made of!



(PS: Two-thirds of the pictures in the teaser came from you-know-who!)

(PPS: Newsflash! A-Men has been featured on SX a week before the launch! The article has been attached below. *Groan* Why is my picture not selected?)



No comments: