Saturday, October 20, 2012

Do you see me? (1)

When I was living in Sydney, I was actively participating in events aimed at promoting a positive Asian image within the gay community as it is a cause that I strongly believe in. That was why ACON (AIDS Council of New South Wales) was such a godsent, especially when the Asian Gay Men programs were in very capable hands. Be it putting an Asian face in mini pageants in bars, increasing awareness of online discrimination through magazine interviews or being part of the ambitious A-Men Project, it was a fun journey of self-discovery, not to mention a joyful one where I got to make countless new friends from all over Asia along the way.

In October 2011, ACON collaborated with a group of university students as part of their coursework to come up with a feature on Asian gay men's coming out stories. There was a photo shoot element and an audio interview section and both were combined into a final clip. The concept of the photo shoot was one that I have not done before and it involved projecting a series of richly-coloured images onto raw skin in a completely-darkened environment. I was the only participant who went full-monty. Hey, if you want to do it, you gotta to do it right! The students were very appreciative of that.

I was quite impressed with the very professional-looking finished product (both the clip and the photos). They were raw, energetic and moving. I will be sharing the clip in this post and the pictures in the next so if you want to see more, you'd just have to wait a teensy bit longer.



PS: Starting today, I am taking a well-deserved week-long break from the craziness and bullshittiness (new word!) of work to fly back home to attend a dear friend's wedding which includes a stopover in Kuala Lumpur to catch up with some friends. Hopefully I will be back refreshed and ready to take on more of this bovine-fecal matter.

No comments: